How to Block a Website in Chrome
Method 1: Using a Browser Extension (Block Site)
- Open Google Chrome on your computer.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store and search for the "Block Site" extension.
- Click on the "Add to Chrome" button to install the extension.
- Once the extension is installed, you will see its icon appear in the upper-right corner of the Chrome window.
- Visit the website you want to block.
- Click on the Block Site extension icon and select "Block this site" from the dropdown menu.
- The website will be added to the block list, and whenever you try to access it, you will see a blocked page.
Method 2: Modifying the Hosts File
- Open the File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Depending on your operating system, go to the following directory:
- Windows: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
- Mac: /private/etc/
- Locate the "hosts" file and make a backup copy of it, just in case.
- Open the "hosts" file using a text editor like Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac).
- Add a new line at the bottom of the file in the following format:
Replace "www.example.com" with the website URL you want to block.
- Save the file and close the text editor.
- Clear your browser cache or restart Google Chrome.
- When you try to access the blocked website, Chrome will fail to load it.